Friday, July 9, 2010

Tranforming Practice


What performance practice am I going to transform?

I think that my group and individual lessons are a performance practice that I need to transform.

I do not like sitting around counting and clapping rhythms for teenagers so that they can make me look good. Life is sacred and can be used more responsibly than that. I think that I can use lessons to help cultivate some ways of thinking, like: resiliency of inquiry, wonderment towards music, problem solving, and creativity.

The few times I attempted to do those things I did not have a plan loaded enough to be successful in those ways.

Now, if I had a student who wanted to learn a solo piece or band piece, I might write up a little curriculum of questions just for that piece. I would encourage them to ask critical questions about the music they want to learn. We could treat the piece like a performance project. Throughout the process we could analyze, evaluate, apply and create. Sometimes, I simply taught !!!!REMEMBER!!!!

A long-term goal would be for the student to become musically independent, aware and productive. How is this piece they are working on a stepping-stone towards a richer experience of music and life?

No comments:

Post a Comment