Friday, July 9, 2010

Practices to discard

I’ve got to stop taking my job as an educator so lightly.

Project-Based learning is both sophisticated and honorable. It requires tons of front-loading (preparation). A PBL instructor must be a master of the 重い手みちびき術 (omoi-te-michibiki-jutsu) or heavy-handed guiding technique. To guide students with a heavy hand is not to rule with an iron fist. To not use my knowledge and influence to manipulate students but instead use questions and preparation to help them to make educational progress.

Before and during the project I must be prepared and deliberately active. You can’t whistle your way through PBL…unless you’re doing a project on whistling.

Hopefully by being well prepare I won’t have to rely on my authority as a government employee to create an atmosphere where learning takes place.


I’ve got to stop taking my job so seriously.

There is a joy in helping others to arrive at places where at their understanding of existence has increased. Music is a big deal and permeates creation. As music (organized vibrations) is what makes up the universe we cannot rid ourselves of it. Each of us is music and our lives a symphony. Life runs in shuffle-play mode so you can’t get too hung up when things don’t go how you expect.
I have faith that God gives us what we need for each day. As an educator, this means that today I have what it takes to get done what needs to get done today. There’s no sense in taking responsibility for the workings of a universe I didn’t make and barely understand. Projects don’t “not work” they simply end up producing an unplanned learning experience. If I relax a little more maybe I can see how these alternate ends are really a part of the bigger picture - of my growing to understand and share my understandings of music (aka the universe).

No comments:

Post a Comment